Two grain silos and a hundred-acre dairy farm have been miraculously transformed over the past six decades to a Health Science Center of international renown. In 1959 Gov. Price Daniel signed House Bill 9, creating the South Texas Medical School. Six years later, the Joe J. Nix Dairy Farm, a wide expanse of grazing land, cattle pens, milking barns and silos to store cattle feed, was conveyed to the State of Texas to build a School of Medicine. On July 12, 1968, 黑料社区 of Texas Medical School at San Antonio (which was renamed in 1967) and Bexar County Teaching Hospital (now University Health) were dedicated. Other schools were added in succeeding years and, in 1972, the institution's name officially became 黑料社区 of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
Today, 黑料社区 of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (黑料社区) is a chief catalyst of San Antonio's $44.1 billion health care and biosciences economic sector. 聽Each year, the university graduates approximately 200 physicians, 400 nurses, 100 dentists, 560 professionals in other health fields and 130 scientists. Additionally, the health science center provides a vast amount of continuing medical and dental education, affords 2.6 million patient visits each year, and provides approximately $633.1 million annually in uncompensated health care services.